News jacking, pioneered by the good David Meerman Scott ( @dmscott ), as an armor in your public relations strategy is here to stay. And not just stay – the only way you will be able to make a significant value addition to your brand is to use news-jacking, more in the coming times.
That can only happen, if as a marketing or PR pro, you are real-time ‘new-jacking’ ready!
There is also a raging debate on the merits and de-merits of news-jacking.
The answer to that debate is this – you must news-jack at the right time, in the right place, in the right context. There are no two ways about it.
While there can be a long debate on the when and how of new jacking as a PR tool, brands must look at news jacking if it has the following impact for them-
- Will it show the brand, products and services in good light, in the context of the event?
- Does the consumer see the brand has something beneficial to offer – either by way of information or services, or tangible/intangible product benefit?
- Will news jacking in the given situation serve brand-lift in the short and long term?
- Will news jacking stand the test of ethics in business and also stand any legal test, that may come to the fore by any stakeholders?
- Would all the stakeholders in the product/service be happy with the technique used to news.
As a PR professional, and an avid news-jacker, ask yourself these quick questions when you embark in your next news jacking sojourn!
- Public Relations – Why are Indian marketers weary of news-jacking?! (newsinpr.wordpress.com)
- Research in Public Relations! (jordynstoneberg.wordpress.com)
- PR take – never outsource your reputation management! (newsinpr.wordpress.com)
- Public relations – One promise that must make you think…! (newsinpr.wordpress.com)